When spending a winter holiday in the snowy mountains, you have little option available when it comes to activities to enjoy. The cold weather might even discourage you to go out – you would rather spend the day in bed with a hot drink in hand. But going on a winter holiday should be the opposite. You need to explore and beat the cold. One of the most exciting activities you can get involved in is to try horse riding snowy mountains resorts have to offer. It is a popular activity for those who like to try something new or thrilling.
If you are new to snowy mountains horse riding activities, you must follow a few safety rules and precautions. Even though horses are highly domesticated animals and they are used being around people, you must be prepared to deal with the horses’ behavior while riding on its back.
Here are some safety tips to live by for a safe horse riding in snowy mountains during your vacation:
• Horses are easily spooked, which is often the cause for many accidents involving horseback riders. It is therefore important to pay attention to the horseback riding crew about what could potentially frighten horses and how you could avoid them. You should avoid loud or screaming noises, sudden movements, presence of other animals like leashed dogs, and camera flashes when around horses.
• Always wear protective gear. Never go on a horse riding snowy mountains adventure without a helmet, knee pads, and proper saddles. In addition, make sure your saddle is properly fitted so you are not easily thrown off your seat with a slight movement or jolt from the horse.
• Horseback riding is not recommended for small children. In fact, you need to check with the horseback riding operator about the minimum height requirement for younger kids before they are allowed to ride a horse.
• Trained horseback riding staff should pay attention to the behavior of the horse prior to the ride. If a horse is acting strangely or throwing a tantrum fit, they should not force you to ride the horse. Instead, they should wait until the horse calms down before you can proceed with the horseback ride.
• If there are several of you riding in a trail, make sure there is adequate space between each horse (at least there should be enough space for one horse to fit in between). This will prevent incidental contact between the two horses that could hurt the rider in the process.
• The staff should orient you on an emergency dismount procedure. Even though you try to prevent agitating the horse, animals are highly unpredictable. It is important to perform the safest strategy when getting off the horse’s back to avoid injury.
• Experts who supervise your horse riding snowy mountains activities should assign you a horse suited for your skill level. In addition, they will also be walking with the horse or riding with you mainly to supervise and ensure your safety. This is a mandatory step for horseback riding staff. You should also take this factor into consideration when you want to find best horse riding in snowy mountains. The staff with proper training knows what to do when it comes to ensuring the safety of all passengers.
With these tips, you can ride with confidence knowing that you will have an unforgettable experience and that you (and the horse) are safe.